We have a highly refined and efficient process for ensuring optimal quality control throughout all of our projects.
Our 5 Step Granny Flat Building Process
Did you know that you don't need council approval to build a granny flat on your property?
There are a few requirements which your property needs to meet, to be permitted to do so.( this is compiled of land size / frontage and other items.) Follow our Complying Development table below as your starting point to the 10 day express approvals we offer. This means you are not subject to the long strenuous Council D.A Submissions (usually 16, and up to 24 weeks) which you would undergo nominally.
The below complying development table table outlines the Minimum requirements:
Minimum Complying Development Requirements for Granny Flats under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing 2009)
|Lot Size||Total Floor Area |
(including existing house)
|Landscaped Area||Min. Frontage||Site Coverage||Building Height||Front Setback |
(non classified road)
|Side Setback||Rear Setback|
- Maximum of 1 Granny Flat is permissible per lot
- Maximum floor are permissible for a Granny Flat is 60 m2
- Must have a 24 m2 courtyard space for the Granny Flat, with an area of at least 4m wide
- Conditions may apply if building in a bushfire, flood affected or conservation heritage area
- For Battle-axe blocks, an access handle of at least 3m wide is required
- Off-street car parking for the Granny Flat is not essential
- If you demolish a garage on the land you are building a granny flat on, you are required to allocate an extra carspot on the property behind the main house and in front of the Granny Flat
You need to obtain the following:
- You now need to obtain a Section 10.7(2) Certificate – From Local council (either over the counter or online)
- A sewer Diagram, purchased from the Sydney Water Tapin website. (Your Contract of land sale may also contain a copy we may be able to use)
- Tell us if your property Falling to the street or the rear of the property (i.e is the area you want to build higher or lower than the street).
- Are there any large tress in the vicinity where you want to build (ie: Trees 6m or larger in your property or your Neighbour's property?).
- Depending on the tree species we can cut down trees under 8m high that are within 3m of the proposed new Granny Flat location
- Generally if there are trees higher than 8m; that are protected by the local council, you will need a 3m buffer zone to the new Granny Flat footprint
Prior to Coming out to View Your property, we ask for your Section 10.7(2) certificate and Sewer Diagram, and also review your property on Google maps, to assess wether your property has all the minimum requirements as we outlined in the first step.
A Representative of Granny Flat Builders Sydney will then book a suitable time and day to come and inspect your property. We will then follow through with a preliminary tender to build one of our standard or custom designed Granny Flats to suite your budget.
In this tender you have the entire cost of the Granny flat, as well as connections to services along with any extra Inclusions you may want. We will also advise you of any potential extra costs that may arise should your property have special circumstances.
During this Period we finalise our Tender quote that works within your budget.
Once you decide to move forward the Design / Approval Fee is Payable in two part payments, to get the ball Rolling for your Granny Flat.
The Design fee covers all relevant Survey, Architectural and Engineering Plans in order to lodge to Certifier. During this stage you will be given the opportunity to conduct changes, in order to gain a suitable solution for your own circumstances.
We will take the time to understand your needs and custom design something for especially you, or you may choose something from our fantastic standard design range.
The Initial Design Stage ( 5-12 days )
During the design stage we will send through a sketch for your viewing and input. Once agreed upon by you, a design fee is paid we will finalise all the final architectural drawings and relevant documentation up to pre- Lodgement. ( 5 to 10 days )
Once design is finalised the materials and colours are selected from our nominated builders range and detailed costing will be provided.
Step 4: Fast Privately Certified Approvals ( 5-10 days)
We will prepare and lodge all the necessary applications and documents for your granny flat. The building contract then prepared and signed. We will also apply for home warranty insurance. Our staff then plan internally to commence work on your project.
Construction duration may vary from between 10 -12 weeks we will provide you with a construction schedule to suite your project objectives.
We will then build your new home in your backyard with minimal disturbance to you, and all the relevant approved documentation and clients selected colours and materials.
The Initial 3-4 weeks Involve:
- Groundworks and foundations,
- Structural wall and roof carpentry & windows
- Fascia / gutter
- Exterwindowsdding (brick / cladding) & eaves lining
- Roof coverings
Next 3-4 weeks Involve:
- Internal service roughing in
- Wall / ceilinginsulationand Linings
- Kitchen check measure &wet area waterproofing
- Internal door jambs and fixout.
- Floor and wall Tiling wet areas
- Kitchen installation
Final 3- 4 Weeks Involve:
- Electrical and plumbing fit off
- Wardrobes and shower screens installed
- Flooring &final painting
- Final clean, practical completion & final handover
The above mentioned time frame is typical and may vary from project to project depending on certain variables. Construction time frames are subject to material availability, unexpected delays and other site conditions that may or may not exist.